Techy-Tech-Technology Discussion M7

Considering technology integration models, I am most familiar with SAMR. Up until this week I had never heard of the RAT model nor the TPACK framework. After reading the article Teaching Effectively with Technology from Micool Online, I became more familiar with the RAT model and how in my opinion it is quite similar to the SAMR model. Both models are excellent, but I like the simplified version of the RAT model. In terms of the SAMR model it took me considerable time to move beyond the substitution level. At this point I feel confident that I am instructing mainly within the Modification level and at times reaching the Redefinition level. With the advent of so many great technologies including G Suites, Verso, Newsela and many more, it is easier for teachers to instruct within and maintain at the Redfinition level. In comparing the SAMR model to the RAT model, the Redefinition level (SAMR) appears to correspond to the Transformation level (RAT). I like the description of the Transformation level. According to the RAT model, Transformation is...Tech allows forms of instruction and learning that were previously inconceivable. This seems more reader-friendly to me than the SAMR model of Redefinition...Tech allows for the creation of new tasks previously inconceivable. The wording of the two is very similar, yet for some reason, in my opinion, the RAT model makes more sense to me. Moving forward I think I will reference the RAT model as it is simplified and easier to understand than the SAMR model.

One of the difficult issues I face and I believe many teachers do as well is knowing for sure that we are at the Redefinition (SAMR) or
Transformation (RAT) levels. I often find myself wondering, “Is this lesson integrating instruction and learning that without the technology would be inconceivable?” I think the word that makes me pause and doubt myself is the word inconceivable. It is such a big word. Teaching and learning that would be inconceivable if I didn't have the tools and technology I currently do...This seems like a very difficult task to achieve at its purest form. Based on this I am not confident that I am at this level; although, I hope to learn to be instructing at this level soon. I do, with little doubt, feel confident that I am operating in the Modification level (SAMR) and I am extremely confident I am in the Amplification level (RAT). It seems that the Amplification level is a mix between the Substitution and Augmentation levels (SAMR).

To simplify above: I am more familiar with the SAMR model, but moving forward I will most likely use the RAT model. I mainly operate within the Modification level (SAMR) and Amplification level (RAT). I am least familiar with the TPACK framework and I don’t expect to reference it in the future as it seems fairly confusing.

Comments

  1. anytime I see the word "inconceivable" i think of Vizzini from Princess Bride. Anyway, I digress. I think the SAMR model is one of the easiest to follow. It gives good knowledge of where a teacher might fall. I think what teachers need to understand, no matter what level of technology experience, is we don't have to live in "Redefinition" or "transformation". That's like saying that our everyday teaching should always be an "Excellent" (if using Danielson). I agree with you that most teachers probably float between Augmentation/Modification most of the time, which is awesome! Continue doing what you do Jason, the students will appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,
    Previous to this assignment, I also had no knowledge of the RAT or TPACK framework. I assume this is because our district taught us about SAMR. I know many others in our district were someone perplexed by this model, and I am wondering if they would have showed us multiple models, some people may not have been so hesitant to embrace the technology integration. I 100% agree with your statement that RAT and SAMR are very much alike, only RAT is a little more simplistic and easy to understand. I also see your point about the wording between the two models. To me the transformation level is saying the types of learning that are occurring were previously inconceivable, but the in the redefinition the focus is on the tasks that were previously inconceivable. I wonder if this creation of new tasks also results in a change in the learning of students. In short, I agree that the wording seems more user friendly and is more simplistic in the RAT framework than the SAMR model. This was definitely my biggest takeaway from this assignment. I too think I will reference the RAT model over SAMR when possible.

    I also have a hard time with the word inconceivable. I have wondered this before myself, is this something that really couldn’t have been done before? It’s a hard, very abstract concept. I would like to see more examples of what this looks like and also what would have been done without the technology. I think this would help distinguish how it is so vastly different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I think the word that makes me pause and doubt myself is the word inconceivable. It is such a big word. Teaching and learning that would be inconceivable if I didn't have the tools and technology I currently do...This seems like a very difficult task to achieve at its purest form. Based on this I am not confident that I am at this level; although, I hope to learn to be instructing at this level soon."

    Jason, that's an excellent point in reference to the word, inconceivable. Don't be too intimidated by that. The more you use technology, the more you'll start reaching the transformation level. Technology tools that we use today will allow us to easily reach that level.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

EEND 677 Artifact 1

EEND 678 Artifact 2