EEND 677 Artifact 1

Artifact 1





I choose this artifact because I am happy with the final product. I didn't think it was possible to make such professional graphic designs using Google Draw. After spending a short time trying the various tools, Google Draw proved to be an easy resource to use. When first assigned this activity I was worried as I had not used Google Draw in quite some time and the last time I used it I did not like the resource. It seemed a bit disconnected and difficult to use. This time it was much better. It still took me a while to get comfortable with the tools and how to use them correctly, but once I became comfortable the creation of the graphic was simplistic, yet creative. I created a graphic that I plan to make a poster of and use in my classroom regarding the CUE strategy (context, use quotation, explain) for writing papers.

There were no major problems when using this technology other than my biased opinion from when I had used the technology in the past. Once I got past my own bias I realized that Google Draw had been improved and was much easier to use. I still think it's a little less intuitive than using something like a Google Slide, but once you get past the learning curve of the tool it becomes more intuitive the more you use it. I like the feature that allows students to upload an image and then create a callout bubble. I like this because it is a great way for students to write summaries in a concise and creative way.

Using Google Draw in the classroom is a fun way to have students show what they have learned in a graphic while at the same time teaching them basic graphic design. I use Google Draw to have students create visual summaries, flowcharts of a text or passage, character analysis, and etcetera. Students enjoy being able to show what they have learned in formats other than writing and speaking. The article Do's and Don'ts of Typography by Sam Jones from Web Designer Depot Online was especially insightful on what types and how many fonts to use, color contrasts and blanks space (2013). Before reading this article I was unaware of these concepts. In particular, I was unfamiliar with the idea of blank space. I always felt the need to cram as much as possible into a visual. Now I understand that less is more when having an effective visual graphic. I find that is important to be able to learn this skill of showing what students have learned in a graphic as it is preparing them for the post-secondary setting and the workplace where technology skills are a must, especially in the digitally connected world.

I have been increasing my presence being connected to the online world of education. Prior to taking the series of technology classes, I was not connected as an educator in any respect. Now, I have a blog, an educational Twitter account, a Google Site (still in production) and I read more educationally related sites and blogs. At first, I wondered how it would be possible to be a special education high school teacher and still have the time to have a Twitter account, blog, and a website. I figured this would be entirely too time-consuming. In all fairness, there is some upfront work involved in creating meaningful blogs, sites, and accounts, but once the projects have been established, there is not much time needed to keep them updated. I really like the idea of a classroom blog as it is a convenient way for parents to check in and see what's happening in the class. From a professional perspective, I like Twitter as a means to connect with other educators to get ideas and stay 'in the know' of current trends and technologies. Moving forward, I plan to create a teacher-Twitter account in addition to my professional educator account.

I plan to continue my learning as an educator by continuing the series of courses through St. Francis, staying connected to other educators via Twitter, blogs, informational sites. I also plan on attending workshops and professional developments that enhance my skills through technology. Teaching is becoming a fast-paced field with these exciting technologies constantly popping up. I believe it is important to be aware of these technologies and implement them in the classroom to the benefit of our stud
ents.

References:


Do's and don'ts of typography. (2013, May 22). Retrieved February 27, 2018, from                               
         https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/05/dos-and-donts-of-typography/

[Google Draw]. (n.d.). Retrieved February 27, 2018, from

         https://www.sketchport.com/drawing/5210407648100352/no-idea-to-drawing




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

EEND 678 Artifact 2