Graphic Design



Incorporating graphic design into the classroom is important regardless of the grade being taught. I currently teach 10th grade English for both general education students and in a special education instructional setting. In these classes, students are often involved in creating presentations and delivering speeches with visual aids. Prior to this module, I was aware of the statistic that 93% of communication is nonverbal, but I was unaware of some of the other statistics mentioned in The Power of Visual Communication Infographic, specifically that 80% of what we see and do is retained versus only 20% of what we read and only 10% of what we hear (2017). Considering this information, in order to maximize student engagement and retention of meaningful information. The use of infographics, images, slide presentations and other visual media is key to providing the best educational learning environment possible. By incorporating as much visual media/learning as possible, I will better reach all students and especially the students who lose focus easily. With this said, I think it is important to maintain a balanced learning environment and incorporate reading and listening skills when appropriate.

Considering students absorb most of the information presented visually, I plan to use more visuals in the classroom. Up to this point, I feel that I have incorporated visuals effectively in my teaching, but not enough; specifically, at the beginning and ending of class. Moving forward, I would like to have the target or agenda presented visually(besides just in words) as compared to how I currently present this orally. I would like to do the same with the ending of class. Instead of saying what the homework or assignment is, a prepared slide with images might better help the students remember. During actual lessons I incorporate lots of visuals as I am a visual learner. I will continue to do this with sufficient modeling and examples for students to reference. I need to work on a theme or slogan for my class, maybe something like... Less speak, more do, more see.

In 10th grade English we are currently working on reading Unbroken. Students were assigned partners and specific chapters to read and annotate (special education instructional setting). Once students have read and annotated, they will present their chapters to the class using Google Slides. Students are to include key people, facts, details and problems as well as make the presentation visually engaging. We tell students a visually engaging presentation has less words and more images and creativity. Based on the information I learned from Why Teachers Should Care About Typography (2013), there are several guidelines I will ask students to follow:

  • Use a variety of font sizes, font colors and font weights. 
  • Make sure the font is appropriate to the content and easy to read. 
  • No more than 2-3 fonts per slide. 
  • Space type to make it reader-friendly. 
  • Do not use large segments of all capital letters. 
  • Play with the colors. Make sure text color complements background color. 
If students keep these guidelines in mind, I expect their presentations will be fun to create, engaging for the audience and an experience that promotes learning.

Comments

  1. I like your idea to focus on visuals at the beginning and ending of class. Those are probably the two most squandered teachable times in any given class. A slogan idea is genius. What a great way to reinforce the value of visuals in your classroom! I also like the collaboration element of your Unbroken project, especially with instructional students. Sounds like you have a winning formula. Good luck with the presentations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    I really appreciate your ideas about including more visuals in class. As a former kindergarten teacher, I had been used to including lots of visuals. As I moved up in grades (now teaching fourth grade), I have been using less. I think that this may have been an unintentional oversight. Although my students may not need visuals in the same way they did as kindergartners, those graphics would still positively impact their learning. I think this is something that I will also strive to incorporate more of in my lessons. Additionally, I really like your guidelines for students creating Google Slides. As this is the first year our students are 1:1 with their Chromebooks, there has been a lot of excitement about fonts, colors, etc. I think having these guidelines would improve the quality of their work, and also help them stay more focused on content over the look of their project.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,

    I agree with you about not using enough visuals in your presentations. I put up targets on the board everyday, but I think it would be smart to start incorporating graphics into the slide presentation. I think students will remember mroe about the targets, schedule of the period, and the assignment. Great quote, "Less speak, more do, more see." I might have that posted on the board and ask students what they think that quote means and the importance of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason,
    I also agree with you about using visual aids in our lessons. Most of the learning happens when students ange their senses and their thinking. As educators, we need to plan didactive graphics that hook our students into learning the content.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

EEND 677 Artifact 1

EEND 678 Artifact 2