Artifact 1 EEND-676

Artifact 1

Image result for rubric


The first artifact I chose was the rubric created to determine whether or not an online resource, application or tool is effective and worth using in the classroom. Before creating this rubric I approached all digital resources the same way; I just gave the resource the 'eye' test. You know the one where you look at it exceedingly quick and either immediately start incorporating it into a lesson or looking for another tool, because, well, who has the time right? After I created this rubric I realized that what I specifically find important in an online resource cannot be evaluated with the 'eye' test; rather, it needs to be given some serious consideration.

I had to think and rethink and then think some more about the aspects of an online resource that I found most important. I had a general idea of things I liked to see in a resource, but I never fully considered which components were most important. I finally narrowed my categories down to include:

  • Are the navigation and use of the resource intuitive? 
  • Does the resource allow for feedback? 
  • Is the resource able to be differentiated? 
  • Is the resource collaborative? 
  • Does the resource allow for higher-order thinking skills? 
  • Does the resource have accessible and helpful support?
After creating these categories and assigning point values I began to evaluate a few resources. I was surprised at how low a couple of my favorite resources scored on my rubric (Flipgrid and Google Sites). These tools didn't score in the range that I would not use them; however, they also did not score in the 'must use' range either. With this in mind, even when using a rubric, there is some subjectivity involved.

The creation of this rubric provided me the opportunity to not only think in more detail about the resources I use in the classroom but whether or not I can justify the resource. Now, when I use a new tool, I compare it to the rubric and let the rubric guide my decision as to whether or not the tool being assessed is worth my time and the students' time.

Comments

  1. The time and energy you put into creating your rubric seems to be paying off as you use it to evaluate tools. It is important that the tools we use with students are of high quality and reflect the best of what is available. Your rubric will work well in helping you select high quality tools.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

EEND 677 Artifact 1

EEND 678 Artifact 2